Early Childhood Screening (ages 3-5)
Early Childhood Screening is required by the State of Minnesota for all preschool-aged children (ages three to five), before entering public school. You may get your screening through Minnetonka Community Education (see instructions below) or you may send us the completed screening results if you've already completed one for your child elsewhere.
It is a FREE and simple check on how your child is growing and developing, and is structured to include fun games that will assess multiple areas of your child’s health and development, including:
- Vision, hearing and physical growth
- Health and immunization history
- Social and emotional development
- Fine and gross motor ability
- Cognitive development
- Speech, language and articulation
- Screening supports your child’s readiness for kindergarten and promotes positive developmental outcomes. Screening may also lead to referrals for early learning opportunities. Screening is not a kindergarten entrance test. For more information, view the Minnesota Statute here.
If a parent is a conscientious objector to the screening program for their child, the child does not need to participate. Parent must complete this Conscientious Objector Form and submit it to the district. For more information, read Minnesota Statutes, section 121A.16-19 and Minnesota Rules, part 3530.3000-4310.
HOW TO SCHEDULE A SCREENING APPOINTMENT:
- To schedule a screening appointment, please register here
- Select a date and time that works with your schedule and select “Enroll Now”
- Complete all requested information and select “Enroll”
- The next page is the Shopping Basket. Click “Check Out for $0”
- If your registration is successful, you will receive an immediate email confirmation that includes your screening date and time. (Note: If you are a new user to the Eleyo registration system and have created a new account during the registration process, you will receive two emails. One to welcome you as a new Eleyo user and another to confirm your screening registration.)
- If you do not receive a course confirmation email a few minutes after registering, your registration is not complete and your appointment is not valid. If you need assistance with registration, please email or call Kate Van Horne at (952) 401-6840 or email@example.com.
Two documents are required at the time of screening in order to complete our records:
- A copy of your child's birth certificate.
If you need to request a new copy of your child’s birth certificate:
For children born in Minnesota, visit the Ridgedale Service Center at 12601 Ridgedale Drive, Minnetonka, to request a copy. You may also go online at www.hennepin.us, or call (612) 348-8240 for more information.
For children born outside Minnesota, visit www.vitalchek.com to obtain a birth certificate.
- Your child’s updated immunization record.
Please bring these documents to your child’s Screening appointment, or submit copies prior to the appointment at:
Fax: (952) 401-6805
Mail: Minnetonka Community Education Center
ATTN: Kate Van Horne
4584 Vine Hill Road, Excelsior 55331
- Last approximately 45-60 minutes.
- Check a child’s speech, motor, cognitive, social and emotional skills, along with height, weight, hearing, vision and immunization history.
- Involve playful activities that make it an enjoyable experience for children, while providing valuable information for the screener.
- Are intended to provide parents with information about their child’s development at the age the child is screened. (Early Childhood Screening is not a Kindergarten entrance test.)
- Involve parents in a summary interview to review the screening process, discuss social and emotional skills, and share any concerns they may have. (Referrals may be made for additional educational resources or community services.)
- Parents are allowed to stay with their child during screening. (Screeners will provide guidelines to parents in the screening rooms.)
- To keep distractions to a minimum, siblings cannot be in the screening rooms. Please find alternative care for siblings.